Carrying you

toothless
in yellow pajamas
bouncing, blowing kisses

now you throw words
that blaze third-degree burns
across my chest;
cut more deeply than a scalpel

slamming door statements
spouting forged glory

others who
stood on top of your pain
as though it were

before I let you
feel this aloneness

but
betray the life
that runs through you?

I will not.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Carrying you

1. Chris G. says:

There is no love like a mother’s, and the animal kingdom is full with fine examples…those pretty kitties among them. Beautiful piece singing of the dedication and love, with fine descriptors. Well writ!

i do counseling with kids…and the picture you paint…its not an easy one for parents…it def takes someone with strength to really raise a child…great one shot

3. “slamming door statements
    spouting forged glory” being the mother of two teen aged daughters…your poem cut straight to my heart…and we love them with such fierceness, always, always, always!

thank you Laura…parenting a teenage daughter is not for the faint of heart, but I wouldn’t trade one minute!

4. brenda w says:

I read the strength of a parent through these lines. My daughter’s slamming doors resonate. You hit a universal for me.

5. Lazidaisical says:

My daughter is only a year and a half and she already slammed a door in my face about a month back. It was traumatizing. I read this with my breath held and my chest tight. Lovely and painful.

thank you for taking the time to read my post. enjoy your baby daughter, she will be a teen before you know it!

6. Mary Anne says:

“now you throw words
    that blaze third-degree burns
    across my chest;
    cut more deeply than a scalpel”
    The descriptions here are right on. Only a mother could understand!

7. Ayala says:

Not easy but love conquers all!

8. Pat Hatt says:

I love how you invoked the picture into the whole write, holding on but just enough and not too tight. Also like the pic, nice one!

9. Oh dear. This was a little glimpse into the future for me, I fear. My little guys are only 3 and 4 1/2 now.

Your last line is the best…”I will not.” Good for you. In the end, they know they are loved, no matter how they behave.

10. Kim Nelson says:

I so relate. I raised three kids. They are now in their 20’s, and I adore having adult children. This poem took me back to some of those less adorable days!

11. love the image you chose for this post..underlines your words perfectly…having three kids i know what you’re talking about…esp. with my son we had hard times…and still..always bouncing back to stanza 1 of your poem..

12. Fireblossom says:

Don’t mess with mothers. I really love the picture you chose to go with this, and the poem itself is hard to read, a little bit, because it is so true.

13. Ann Grenier says:

Yes, very hard to read, painful memories overwhelm.
    Wanted to say though ,how well written your poem is, nevertheless.

14. Anna :o] says:

A perfect description of the joys, trials and tribulations of parenthood. Bravo!

Anna :o]

15. Linda says:

Words written with spiritfilled emotions…..having a daughter with special needs …i too feel the myriad of emotions described ever so poetically in your creative work….be not mistaken…we have been gifted by their presence in our lives …….love to you…