Stained Glass (Rubáiyát)

Stained Glass

Ordained disciples dominate
their message to manipulate
eternal puffery divine
confessions used to liberate

like roses on a thorny vine
the judgment’s passed around like wine
but wars are waged for holy ends
hypocrisy tied up with twine

devotion’s doctrine condescends
the Masses held in stained playpens
fictitious tales to pacify
an endless paradox descends

forgiveness offerings can buy
the crowd’s oppression worship high
our Universal essence cry
collective faith —  stole by a lie.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Stained Glass (Rubáiyát)

1. Pingback: Thursday Poets Rally Week 47 (June 30-July 6, 2011) | Promising Poets' Poetry Cafe

2. Jingle says:

amazing.
    beautiful imagery.

invite you to join poets rally today.

3. Jenny says:

A beautiful poem and I completely relate to the mixed feelings of awe and alienation

thank you Jenny for taking the time to read and comment. organized religion is a bit of a paradox!

4. Steve E says:

I believe anything organized by mankind is “a bit of a paradox”. Thank God the Universe has some semblance of order–and it DOES!

scathing write…organized religeon was the bane of my early life…then i worked in the church in mid life…a couple years ago i escaped once more…smiles. guilt and judgement are not my game…nice word play.

6. Carys says:

I’m not familiar with this form Christi but I have to say it works wonderfully well here. Love this line

the Masses held in stained playpens

Not sure ‘stole by a lie’ is grammatically correct – I think it should be ‘stolen by a lie’ but of course that would throw your meter out.

7. This is well done. Love it.

There is a reason why its called born again Christian. They don’t want you to grow up and figure it out.

From the Gospels of Thomas (gnostic bible):

Jesus said, “If your leaders say to you, ‘Look, the (Father’s) kingdom is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father’s) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.

When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty.”

8. you capture all the ugly sides of organized religion very well christi – the wars fought to make people submit and force them into some tight corset – not the way it was planned from the beginning – well stated

9. Nice write. Great form and rhyme. I can relate to the frustration in these lines.

10. C Rose says:

This is a powerful position that I admire. The second stanza a particular favorite to a overall well penned piece. ~ Rose

11. Dulce says:

WOW This is hard as life itself. A cruel reality made art… not easy work

Greatly done!

12. kez says:

wow powerful stuff that tells it as it is ….loved it thank you x

13. shan says:

Your poetry is beautifully rounded, and crafted sis, this is absolutely stunning, I love your use of language, I’m making it my mission in line to digest a few pages of thesaurus per day from now on. Scouts honour!

14. Kelvin S. M. says:

..there’s so much magic and pain hidden in those stained glasses and yours was more on a melancholic tone raising issues.. i like it… a perfect subject indeed!

15. kelly says:

really, really love this, the cadence is perfect, fabulous imagery, and a message that really hits home for me.
    especially loved this:
    but wars are waged for holy ends
    hypocrisy tied up with twine

16. Heaven says:

I like the form and rhyming words too.

Plus the message is powerful and kicks the stomach ~

Yes, Christi, great marriage of form and message… no paradox there. Opening stanza…brilliant at spotlighting the stain of organised religion.. Strong write…

(I’m with Julie on ‘stole’ – different meaning I know but how about soiled or fouled?)

18. emma says:

Yes, I agree, very strong words here. It’s hard to see any semblance of love in a church that operates mostly through hateful, demeaning tactics. Well said Christi. Your poetry is so sharp, enjoyed it.

19. Kim Nelson says:

Adhering to form, you deftly illustrate the negative side of organized religion without malice or rancor. Well done.

20. Aida says:

Strong message + perfect poetry=awesome combination!!!

21. Joe Hesch says:

Terrific piece, Christi. Potent message, brilliant language, all displayed upon strong form. Outstanding.

22. zongrik says:

this is so good. you really touch on what the Catholic Church is all about

care for those age’d until the end

23. Wow, using the classical rubaiyat quatrain form as the skeleton of a piece that could be viewed, in some quarters, as positively incendiary! Courageous, and a perfect use of the form.

thanks so much Samuel. I wrote this a while back. I really like the form… this piece is written in iambic tetrameter.

Robert Frost’s ‘Snowy Woods’ poem is a favorite 🙂

you did a wonderful job of highlighting this wonderful form!

—C.

24. Shawna says:

This paints a strong visual; I really love this line: “the Masses held in stained playpens”

thanks Shawna. I am very spiritual…but I do struggle with some of the hypocrisy of organized religions. thanks so much for the visit.

<3 < 34 days and counting!

25. well written with a rhythm and rhyme, the flow kept me reading until I had to stop.

fictitious tales to pacify
    an endless paradox descends

nice….dang love the grit you put into this….the alliteration at a few points sets the pace well in this and some really nice rhyme choice…and truth as well…all stolen by a lie….

27. Nice to see a bit of rage at how institution’s steal the mystic’s vision for power

28. Gay Cannon says:

I WISH I HAD WRITTEN THIS – really it is my exact feelings, and I’ve been looking for a way to say the same for the last week. Your piece is perfect – form, text, meaning, everything. PERFECT! I love it.