July

fresh cut grass
drifts abundant
through my open window.
I sit broken by the bed
where you’re lying, clinging; still.

July sunlight pierces
our morning willow tree;
its branches painting shadows,
that dance and play around us
on the wall, but you don’t see. I

drop

relief

into your cheeks. plead
for peaceful stillness, to keep you
at the edge of freedom.

your breath but the tiniest
whisper, like the wings
of impatient angels.

what more can I declare?
words and thoughts betray.
dear sister, how do I
beg you not to leave, when
I can’t
wish for you to stay?

I’ll lay right here beside you
speak softly so you know.
these bonds will not be severed:

It’s okay for you to go.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to July

16 years tomorrow. miss you Vickie Lynn.

2. Ralph Cistaro says:

Dear Christi,
    Such loving, beautiful, selfless words. How comforting you were to Vickie; how much she loves you. There was a white butterfly that was fluttering amongst us the entire afternoon of our gathering in Vickie’s honor.To this day, whenever I’m visited by a white butterfly, my mind’s eye sees Vickie’s face…and she is smiling.
    Love and light, Ralph

Ralph–
      I have remembered you fondly over the years. My sister thought the world of you. She is so dearly missed. Can you believe that little baby you carried around on your shoulder that last Thanksgiving is 16 years old? Time passes too quickly. I hope you are well and happy. Lets properly catch up soon. with love and affection, Christi

3. Sheila Moore says:

oh, this is so heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. It literally gave me chills and I adore the line: your breath but the tiniest
    whisper, like the wings
    of impatient angels.

(magnificent imagery)

Beautiful, Christi, and yes it’s heartbreaking too. Lovely work

5. Irene says:

So beautiful, Christi! Melancholy creatively expressed. 🙂

goodness this is evocative…my eyes got misty…i have sat by that bed and gave permission to leave…what a hard time…

7. now you got me crying…this was touching christi and i think excellently written as well

8. Carys says:

I have read this before Christi, on the board I believe. It brought forth a few tears then, as it has now. The element that strikes me most about this piece is the abundance of space in it. The reader has room to breathe and also is granted a place within the room to silently observe the scene. I sat with my grandfather as he took his last breath and felt so privileged to spend those last few moments with him. The most heart-wrenchingly difficult moments in our lives are often the ones that we treasure the most.

I would normally find the use of the word ‘angels’ in a poem of this genre, or indeed any genre if I’m honest, a little cliched but it’s not the case here, it feels very appropriate.

The first two stanzas are my favourite, they not only place the scene seasonally but also the shadows dancing allude to childhood memories for me and I find that very effective. A beautiful tribute to an enduring bond Christi.

Thanks Julie for your in depth feedback, it’s very much appreciated. It was a real honor and priviledge to be able to take care of her. wouldn’t have traded one tender, aching, second of it.

9. Anonymous says:

Hauntingly beautiful, it’s not often a poem can reach out through the words and link into the emotions of the reader, but you’ve managed it here.
    The spacing is perfect, there is room to breathe and take in this final scene, a culmination of a childhood shared so intimately, to be left in memory, in memoriam.

Bravo.

10. Mindy says:

That was absolutely beautiful. I had a brother who died in a car accident when I was eight. I completely understand your feeling. I could feel how you felt in your words. I’m speechless. All I can say is….beautifully written!

Christi… somehow you have expressed your love and loss in perfect measured tones… carefully paced in well-chosen language.. and the emotion washes off the page..

12. laurie kolp says:

This one tugs at my heartstrings… the pic definitely adds to it.

13. Nara Malone says:

This is such a wonderful contrast of holding tight while letting go. Beautiful.

14. Kim Nelson says:

you lead us into the meat and message of this piece the way a talented screenwriter/director would. you set the scene, led us gently in, helped us feel the tone of the room. nicely done.

15. Aida says:

This is one of my favorites of yours, Christi! You’ve captured the essence of heartbreak so deeply the reader can immedeately relate to it.

16. Patricia says:

I work for hospice in my hometown. Thank you for such a stunningly beautiful write of your love for your sister. Words and thoughts did not fail you by the time you wrote this… though, I understand the sentiment completely. I hope you still have your willow tree near you… now filling your mind and heart with precious memories that dance and play around you.

our morning willow tree;
    its branches painting shadows,
    that dance and play around us

I commend you for your work. the willow tree is quite far away from me now, but her memory is not. thanks for taking the time to read and comment Patricia.

17. A very tought place to be and captured that moment eloquently. Superb write.

18. Amy Jo says:

This is so heartbreaking and written so lovingly and lovely. Really nice work, Christie.

19. Kelvin S. M. says:

..this is a very heart rending piece i’ve so far read today.. i wonder if you ever had a rough time putting this up.. ye know writing a piece for a loved one for me is way to hard and uneasy than writing a piece out of a chosen topic or daily issues… that’s the reason why i rarely cover a topic involving my family or friend in a poem.. and whenever i attempt to do one.. i’m always carried away and in hesitant of not giving a much justifiable end or outcome which makes it more hard for me to finish such.. i remember, the last piece i made was ’bout my mom.. a poem of gratitude and love for all her sacrifices for me/us.. i’ve posted it at my page but decided to put it out because i felt like it’s still not yet done(though i spent almost a week writing for it..) and believe there’s a need to add more but up to these days can’t still figure the what was it and how to put it out and ugh… can’t explain that much the feeling.. But with your poem here, i feel the ease and deep longing, the fervent feeling of joy and love and sadness.. which makes it more and more touching every time i read.. thank you for sending us your heart!(:

~Kelvin

thanks so much Kelvin. I can understand your sentiments, it can be difficult to write about the loss of a loved one. Impossible to capture/convey the pain on the page. Of course I don’t think this does the heartache of my sister’s last day any justice at all, but it was very therapeutic to write. Let me know when you post your poem about your mother. I would love to read it. xC.

20. Reflections says:

I too have experienced these last moments shared with a very dear best friend… I am awed by the dignity and peaceful atmosphere you are able to convey, that we hope we are able to offer up to these precious souls, in these last moments.

21. Natasha says:

Crap! My makeup is running! teach me for sneaking in comments at work. Claudia hit me something terribly with her Dad poem, and now you speak of the loss of a sister…Couldn’t imagine my life without mine, Christie…and it may be off point, but I loved the comment Re; white butterfly. Thought this a fantastic write…

22. Well written and really conveys your loss in a deeply meaningful way and how
    you have dealt with some of the grief. Thank you for sharing your loss.