Susquehanna

resplendent

sublunar crest
captures the landscape
riparian traced
subordinate forms hush

gush rapture effaced

written on September 13, 2011 for dVerse pub’s open mic night.

* The Susquehanna is a river inPennsylvania which recently crested at record levels due to tropical storm Lee.   Several local tributaries, creeks, and streams rose to incredible heights in response to the engorgement of the river.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Susquehanna

1. Steve King says:

We in New York share the Susquehanna with Pennsylvania. It cut a wide swath here over the course of the last two weeks. You create engaging impressions.

nice your words and structure create the flow nicely capturing a bit of that stream with it….nicely penned…

3. Heaven says:

beautiful words to capture the river…thank you for sharing this ~

(I tried commenting before but the post didn’t appear 🙁 )

4. Tight, well contained poem which provides the perfect counterbalance and increases the sense of chaos in the action of the river.

You know that as soon as I saw the title I was committed to this one? You’ve done a wonderful job of embodying movement and sound…adore the first stanza in particular…’brush/chase the curves /voracious’ …silky power Christi..

6. Love the phrase ‘riparian traced.’ Re-read several times, love the way your words flow and the picture you paint in this. Your beautiful words capture this river well.

7. hedgewitch says:

Your love of language shows in this lush and tightly written portrait of movement and flux, the wild water and the imagination as paper boat swirling along on it.

8. Gene says:

Such a cascade of words, pulling the reader along the path of rampant nature. I’m also in Eastern PA, not near the Susquehanna, but the Lehigh, so I can still relate to the spectacle that came down on us.

9. A.S. says:

Senti tuas palavras flutuarem no sensual movimento das águas…

Beijos…
    AL

10. Ann LeFlore says:

such a lovely impression you have sculpted of the river and it is so well done

11. Sheila Moore says:

every words just rolls off of the tongue – and feels simply delightful!

12. Ayala says:

Nice and lovely share.

13. I love how saying your words out loud sounds like the water you are writing about!

Wish I were by a nice stream now, remember the one by my grandmother’s. Was so special there.

Excellence. Never tell me again that you can’t write free verse…